Tuesday, March 1, 2011

LASKER AND CHESS EXTRAS FINISHED

Most likely by tonight or this evening. However, not totally finished. Clean up, proofing, art touches, and waiting for a cover for Lasker will take about until the end of the week. The EXTRAS will go out via PDF but Lasker #6 will be printed, so that will take a little longer. Then it will be time to start gearing up for The Chess Reports.

Those are all major publications for me. Someone recently suggested that I put together some sort of comprehensive catalog to explain what they all mean. I could, and eventually I might, but the point is, take a CHANCE. I do, and so do others. Often, when customers do take a chance they are pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure why. It's always been the goal of Thinkers' Press to give people more than they bargained for. But, I have discovered, in the past, there are those who eagerly look forward to a screwup at this end. Get a life guys.

These journals are not like the routine chess stuff that gets cranked out everywhere else and is forgotten 10 minutes later. For years I subscribed to everything, so I am not making this up. As one woman told me, "Don't compare me to them." Unfortunately, it is inevitable.

Occasionally I release samples or FREE copies and I have people who order those over and over, but who won't buy anything. The only way to get them to buy is to "guess" what their favorite subject might be and ship them that issue with the fond "hope" they will think EVERY issue is for them and contains that kind of stuff. To quote anyone, "Yeah, right."

A couple weeks ago I got a phone call from a fellow in Minneosta who works for another government. He LOVES the stuff TPi puts out but he won't give me permission to use his name because his superiors would go "ape" if they saw it, because it connotes all kinds of scary and secretive innuendo. But he can't wait for the next installment of whatever! Isn't that great? And, on top of all that, he's a great guy!

Here's the prices for those who can take the plunge and not sit on the can for week's at a time trying, with every grunt, to make a decision:
The Chess Reports, Semester 10. $69.95. You will also get a CD or DVD during this semester.
Lasker & His Contemporaries #6. $25.00 plus $3.50 for S&H. Will soon go to $34.95 + S&H.
Chess EXTRAS #5, part of a subscription series of 6, $65.00. $50 if you have a Gold Card 2011.

Contact me at: bob@thinkerspressinc.com

PS: All the time I get requests for a FREE catalog. At the moment I have nothing totally current. Very few people who get these catalogs ever buy anything. I don't know what they are looking for; usually they don't say. I am thinking of ordering a Mind Reading Kit from Amazon.com. Let's see if that improves my chances of guessing. When I would PRINT catalogs, back in the day, the printing and shipping would run around $10,000 and 75% of those who got them never said a thing or made ANY purchase; but they still ASK for the printed catalog! The email versions go to my tried and true, thank you men.

PSS: Tomorrow I go in for cataract surgery for the left eye *first." Unfortunately, that will take me out of action for a day or two. So I doubt if I will post any Blog tomorrow. In the meantime, keep those cards, letters, and emails coming in (not about my cataract surgery, though that is OK), but about what you need to enjoy chess more. That is what I do, and, I make no apologies for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment