Thursday, May 20, 2010

WEB SAVVY NEEDED AND OTHER STUFF

I have plans for several web sites, offering specific promotions and sales.

For the time being I want to get some "placeholders." That is a web site, at low cost because it will be a while before I actually have the time to do something. I am aware of sites that can be bought for $2.95 or $8.95 etc. but usually they want you to get other services too. I barely have the time to do one at a time! Something for less than $10 a year with no strings attached is about right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Second, I am announcing here, and as far as I know, something about Bobby Fischer that has never been touched upon. I think he was autistic or had the Aspberger Syndrome. Now I am no expert on this stuff but last night I was reading Perfect Rigor a terrific book on the math genius Grigory Perelman, the Russian math genius who solved the 100 year old Poincare problem. Fischer and Perelman share many of the same personality disorders: don't see the world the way others do, only interested in their view, narrowly define everything they do, and so on. It appears in this book (superb by the way) by Masha Gessen that many of the world's brilliant mathematicians are often like this, and physicists too (who are often mathematicians in disguise). When I hear the name "autism" I often think of a screaming kid, but it's more than that. So while I was reading about the recluse Perelman it came to mind that Fischer and he were very much alike. Gessen doesn't say that Perelman was autistic, but the evidence strongly points in that direction because people who live this situation often won't let anyone near them who they perceive as threatening. Their reasoning is sound if looked at in one light, but totally weird-city if looked at in another.

Lastly, for today, I have a review copy of Why we lose at chess by Colin Crouch, with a dark and foreboding cover. Laz Munoz highly recommends it. My stock won't be here for a week or so. But it looks like another Crouch winner, just don't confuse it with an older title, Why You Lose at Chess--a title that was quoted to me on the phone last week by an unidentified caller (no social skills). I told him I didn't have it. My book by Les Ault, called The Genesis of Power Chess was sometimes incorrectly referred to as The Genius of Power Chess. I am constantly amazed that people don't get what they want because they don't know the exact or real title. used to happen all the time in grad school. It was important to know names and authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment