Friday, January 15, 2010

PLAYING OUTSIDE THE "CUBE"


This Blog site will occasionally publicize writers, companies, and organizations connected with chess. One author I wanted to mention today is Gary Kevin Ware.

For some time Gary was the Problems' Editor for CLO (Chess Life Online). He was removed for a pun he made ("The Only Good Indian is a Loyd Indian."). Originally Jennifer Shahade didn't pay any attention to the comment, but some bellyacher did. These types exist everywhere--they are the "I have no life Police." Remove THEM.

If you don't already know, the inventor of the "15 Puzzle" was Sam Loyd. This guy's brainpower bordered on the incredible as he came up with puzzles (including chess) and "toys" which are enchanting, baffling, and maddening. Gary discusses, online now (his own), such things as Turton Doubling, Sam Loyd, and many other aspects of chess that were big news more than a century ago (for example). Some of this business is way outside my bailiwick, but I am sure I have readers who will find Gary's work fascinating.

When Gary told me about it originally, his problem with the USCF, and remaining on the "hired" team, I figured he was doomed, and without good reason--just "somebody's reason."

I'm not much of a believer in PC (political correctness). PCers worry and anguish a lot over offending anyone (except those who confront them) about anything. And just as you think it is only about race, religion, creed, height, weight and size, or mental capacity, they will come up with something else that would make you scratch your head as if it were a rash. This is how originally a Christian nation on Dec. 25th has become a "Holiday" tradition, even though so far Christmas trees are still Christmas trees!

You can register and gander at Gary's web site by going to:

I hope you have fun there and don't break your brain (too much).

PS: I saw Bobby Fischer one night on Johnny Carson (it might now even be on YouTube) working the 15 puzzle by Sam Loyd. Fischer claimed to be the world champion of that puzzle. His fingers danced like they were being hit by lightning as he took a jumbled up "setting" and "righted" it extremely quickly. If he ever worked on the Rubik's Cube, I am sure he was a master of that too. I don't know how much has been publicized about Fischer's capacity for games (that's how his sister got him started on chess), but I have a feeling these things intrigued him no end.

No comments:

Post a Comment